An unexpected error has occured while configuring the Network Bridge

Posted by damnedviper | | 11 comments »

Recently, I had troubles bridging my two networks. Whenever i tried to bridge my network adapters, i had an error message saying "An unexpected error has occured while configuring the Network Bridge".

Even after spending couple of hours, i was not able to find a worthwhile solution. Frustratedly, I decided that there would be something associated with it which might be causing the problem. So i started tracing out how the bridges are formed and what are their requirements. Microsoft explains it here. So for having a network bridge, firstly, i had to disable my Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). But when i looked for ICS for my network adapters, it showed that Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) has gone corrupt. The Microsoft said that I had two options for this.
1. Restore my system to a Previous State.
2. Repair my windows installation.



This was cumbersome. So i searched for some alternatives and found in some discussion forum. It said that the fixing of WMI is quite easy if Event Log, a service, is running. You can check it by typing msconfig on your run dialog and then selecting the services tab. Search for Event Log and see its status. If its not running then it means that you have to go through the repairing process. If it is running then the fix is simple. Just open a command prompt and browse to %systemroot%\system32\wbem\repository. Then type del *.* and then del FS. This will delete the WMI repository and force it rebuilt on the next boot.

So reboot and then select the two networks adapters and there you go. You have a brand new Network Bridge.

If you like the post then please vote on any Social Media Network.

11 comments

  1. Anonymous // July 29, 2008 at 10:53 PM  

    how do you browse to the file in command prompt?

  2. damnedviper // July 30, 2008 at 3:09 AM  

    In Windows XP, goto run and write cmd. A box with a black screen will appear with a blinking cursor. Now it would be like
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

    write

    cd c:\windows\system32\wbem\repository

    you will be in the required directory
    Then perform the del *.* and del FS.
    Hope this solves the issue

  3. Anonymous // August 7, 2008 at 6:09 PM  

    I am trying to get OpenVPN to work, which requires me to bridge my connections. I couldn't because the 'unexpected error occured.'I tried deleting the files in the c:\windows\system32\wbem\repository and restarting, but that didn't work. I went into my device manager, and there was a device in the Network adapters called 'MAC Bridge Miniport' with an exclamation by its icon (means the device was having issues). I uninstalled it, which removes it from the Network adapters list. I then proceeded to bridge my 2 network connections... and voila! It seems in my case I had an already malfunctioning bridge to begin with. I previously disabled the Windows Management services, but I do not know if that is needed. Hope this saves someone a few hours worth of headache.

  4. Unknown // October 1, 2008 at 12:55 PM  

    it looks like you posted everywhere a link to your webpage. are you sure your method cures the problem in all cases? i followed your instructions and still have the problem. it sucks. any suggestions?

  5. damnedviper // October 1, 2008 at 9:21 PM  

    yeah it sucks. this problem really sucks. Basically i had the same problem and was quite frustrated as i could not find the solution from anywhere. I searched for hours and hours and found this solution. Moreover, this only works when EventLog is running. If it is not running then you should first be correcting that.

  6. chrimp originator // October 6, 2008 at 9:17 PM  

    nothing happens when i write cd c:\windows\system32\wbem\repository
    and when i write del *.* and del FS all it says is are you sure! wat do i do?

  7. Anonymous // January 17, 2009 at 3:40 PM  

    Uninstall the Wan Miniport adapter from the device manager.

    That worked easy cheezy for me :-)

  8. Anonymous // January 19, 2009 at 4:24 AM  

    thanks man it really worked..uninstalling mac from device manager..really simple.

  9. Anonymous // February 21, 2009 at 1:12 AM  

    I have the same problem but when I try to delete FS it says another program is using it even though everything is closed and everyone elses doesn't make sense
    please reply

  10. Anonymous // March 15, 2009 at 11:51 AM  

    Why not just uninstall Mac drive lol?
    LOL at the first Anon...

  11. Khurram // June 7, 2009 at 3:37 AM  

    lol yeah....
    just uninstall the man miniport.. from the device manager n here u go....

Recent Posts

ASP Web Hosting