Windows Live Messenger conflicting Nod32 Antivirus and Smart Security

Posted by damnedviper | | 19 comments »

A trivial thing can become a serious pain in the ass. Things get even worse when you don't get help from anywhere. I had this problem with my instant messenger which made me really pissed off as i had tried everything i knew to rectify it. Then no help from my best buddy Google made me freak out.

I am running Windows XP Service Pack 2 on my box. For safety reasons i had installed my personal favorite Nod32 Antivirus. Then one day when i tried logging in my hotmail account through Windows Live Messenger, i received this error with code: 8100030d





Meanwhile, everything else worked like charm. I had tried reinstalling the Window Live Messenger, changing the proxy settings, playing with the firewall and much more of what i dont remember.

After finding every effort in vain, i contacted my BFF Google.com. I searched for hours and hours and found no topic addressing my problem. Then there was one blog in which the author said that he was facing the same problem and when he uninstalled the AV, things went back to normal (point to be noted is that even if you disable the antivirus, antispam, email protection modules, problem remain). Indeed, he was right but i didn't want to breathe unprotected.

I then tried adjusting the settings for the Anti Virus but even if i add it to exclusion list, the problem pertained. Then finally after few days hit and trials, i was finally able to resolve the issue.

Here is what you need to do if you want to use WLM along with Nod32.

1. Open up Nod32 window.



2. Goto Setup tab



3. Click "Enter Advanced Setup Tree"

4. Goto Web Browsers in HTTP under Web Access Protection and uncheck the msnmsgr.exe



Click Ok and Sign In again.

There are other ways to do this as well but i find this easiest.

Hopefully this will solve the problem.



EDIT: There is one more issue regarding the signing in problem. Please check the system date and correct it otherwise it may not login.

If you like the post then please vote on any Social Media Network.

19 comments

  1. Anonymous // April 17, 2008 at 10:54 AM  

    THANK YOU!!!

    My windows messenger was sending messages out, but incoming were being blocked. This was the exact cause.

  2. Anonymous // May 5, 2008 at 11:20 PM  

    Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. I haven't been able to use Live MSN for a month and with your instructions I was up and running in 60 seconds! Thanks!

  3. damnedviper // May 8, 2008 at 10:31 AM  

    thanks for the comments ppl

  4. Anonymous // May 20, 2008 at 1:41 AM  

    Many thanks from Sergio, Portugal!

  5. Anonymous // May 28, 2008 at 5:14 PM  

    Thank you so much mate!!
    My daughter has been trying so long to get on messenger but my eset smart security was blocking it.Thanks again!!!

  6. damnedviper // May 29, 2008 at 3:18 AM  

    Glad to hear that

  7. Anonymous // June 6, 2008 at 3:22 AM  

    All i can say is THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I have been struggling with this problem for a while, and now finally after reading your blog, it is fixed. I can now breathe easier.

  8. damnedviper // June 7, 2008 at 1:58 AM  

    you can thank me by bookmarking this page on del.icio.us or any other social bookmarking network

  9. Anonymous // July 13, 2008 at 2:28 AM  

    Thanks a million. I was pulling my hair out!

  10. Anonymous // September 4, 2008 at 7:20 AM  

    Perfect! Just what I eas looking for!

  11. Han Yang // September 23, 2008 at 2:35 AM  

    Thanks! Worked great for me

  12. Anonymous // September 24, 2008 at 2:04 PM  

    Thanks!! I'd given up a while back trying to get windows live messemger to work with ESET smart security, but this works!

    My version you have to change the msnmsgr.exe to a red cross instead of the a blank box.

  13. Anonymous // October 23, 2008 at 7:08 AM  

    Man You are my hero!

  14. Anonymous // October 28, 2008 at 9:40 AM  

    finally some INFORMATION! Thanks damnedviper.

  15. Anonymous // November 10, 2008 at 5:06 AM  

    Thank you, solved it for me too.

  16. Anonymous // March 12, 2009 at 2:21 PM  

    Thank you oh so very much!
    I went through all the tree and couldn't figure out what's wrong...

  17. Anonymous // March 14, 2009 at 3:07 PM  

    Thanks for the tip! Any idea on how to do this for the latest release, 4.0?

  18. Anonymous // June 5, 2009 at 8:23 AM  

    I love you ty so much ive been w8ing ans searching for 5 months !

  19. Anonymous // July 15, 2009 at 8:17 PM  

    Thank you so much for this.
    I've been having this problem for months and had almost given up hope on WLM.

Recent Posts

ASP Web Hosting